In the middle Corfu’s West coast sits Ag. Gordios, its mile long stretch of sandy beach is backed by high cliffs which seem to tumble dramatically into the sea. At one end lies a tiny island that looks like it has broken off as it all splashed into the water. The resort is at the bottom of a fairly steep hill where there is the usual selection of mini markets catering for those on the beach. Dining and nightlife is limited to a handful of friendly taverns and small disco bars. Accommodation is good but not concentrated around the resort centre. Car or bike hire is recommended for exploring the local area.
Corfu Town has much to offer even the most well travelled visitor. The art galleries and museums, of which there are more than a dozen, hold regular exhibitions. The town’s three brass bands, symphony orchestra, opera company, choir, contemporary and traditional dance groups and drama societies guarantee a full programme of musical and theatrical events.
Mouse Island or Pontikonissi, is a small, hilly and densely wooded island that legend says was formed when the ship that had taken Odysseus back to Ithaki returned to its home port. Poseidon, who was angry at being defied by the Phaeceans, turned the ship to stone. The 13th century Monastery of Pantokrator on Mouse Island, has a winding, white staircase that from a distance looks like a mouse’s tail.
Also in the Bay of Kanoni is Vlacherna Monastery. The Vlacherna Womens Monastery was founded many centuries ago on the little rocky tip of the Kanoni peninsula. The present chapel was built in 1685 and the oldest gravestone dates from 1785.
Located in the village of Gastouri, the route to the Achillion Palace takes you along coastal roads and through a landscape of orange, lemon and olive groves. Built in 1890 by the tragic Empress Elisabeth of Austria, the magnificent palace was designed with the mythical hero Achilles as its main theme.
Gardiki Castle is a 13th-century Byzantine castle on the southwestern coast of Corfu and the only surviving ancient fortress on the southern part of the island. It was built by a ruler of the Despotate of Epirus, and was one of three castles which defended the island before the Venetian era (1401–1797).
Visit The Governor´s Olive Mill
The birthplace of the first health claim olive oil in the world. Historical details connecting the olive tree and the olive oil with Greece and the island of Corfu.
The Olive mill is located in a nearby village Agios Matheos about 10 km from Ag. Ioannis Peristeron.
The museum contains many thousands of impressive and rare species from most seas of the planet and possesses one of the biggest and most complete shell collections in Europe. It contains shells, fossils, sponges, corals, stuffed fish, sharks and shark teeth, lobsters, crabs, sea urchins, snakes and more from the Indian and Pacific Ocean and also from the Mediterranean Sea.